How to play retro games... TODAY
Nothing beats the feel of real retro plastic - car boots, charity shops, and eBay should be your first port of call, but there are many other ways to get your hands on older kit, including Facebook groups and other social media platforms where you can buy retro kit directly.
However, if it’s simplicity you seek, there are now many retro games consoles that should satisfy your needs.
Below are the consoles that Classic Replay recommends:
Eagle Box - Retro Games console with Gamepad
The Eagle Box, an Android Retro Games Console, will satisfy all of your retro gaming needs with it's ability to play all of your favourite childhood computers and consoles such as PS1, MAME, Dreamcast, N64, NeoGeo, Atari, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, SEGA Master System, SEGA Mega Drive, CPS1, CPS2, Amiga, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and many more on your TV!
Perfect for adults, children and your living room.
- Capable of playing: PS1, MAME, Dreamcast, N64, NeoGeo, Atari, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, SEGA Master System, SEGA Mega Drive, CPS1, CPS2, Amiga, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and much more!
- Key remapping function allows you to use the original game controls
- Save your game progress (multiple times) and load from your preferred choice
- 5GB Internal Memory will hold HUNDREDS of games!
- Memory card slot to expand your game library further!
- Supports up to HD 1080P
- Not only is this a super compact home console, it also doubles as a TV Box! Beat your high score on Crazy Taxi, put your feet up and watch your favourite TV show on Netflix using the Eagle Box.
Classic Replay has no direct association with any of these products and therefore does not list any websites. However, content to ensure details are up-to-date have been taken from Funstock.co.uk
Why do we like it?
It’s easy to setup and get going. You simply plug in and go, no waiting around. You can use the SD card slot to add your own games and it’s tiny, which means you can take it anywhere. You’ll need to pick up a wireless keyboard if you want to get the most out of it, especially if you want to play all those old adventure games, as the featureless remote you get with it, will cause more pain than entertain. Inside the box, you get the console itself, a game pad, a power adapter, remote control and an AV adapter. We fully recommend you pick up an HDMI cable for high resolution.
Play thousands of retro video games in 720p HD with this all-in-one 'Retron 5' retro games console. Included retro games cartridge/game slots: Nintendo NES, SNES (Super Nintendo), GameBoy Advance (GBA), SEGA Genesis / SEGA Mega Drive, Nintendo Famicom, Super Famicom, Gameboy Colour and Game Boy!
EU Model with improved cartridge slots (resolved issue of 'death grip' on older models)
- Plays original NES, SNES, Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advance cartridges
- HDMI output (with 720p upscaling!), a USB port for charging of the wireless controller, SD card slot for firmware updates and an AC Adapter to power up the system
- Improved EU model with improved cartridge slots (no worry of 'death grip')
- Region free - Will play PAL and NTSC cartridges
- Comes with a wireless controller which utilises Bluetooth technology, allowing 15 feet of gameplay
- Use any controller you desire for any system (including Mega Drive, SNES and NES)
- This new controller will also have a Microswitch Directional Pad instead of a traditional directional pad. Along with 6 face buttons, two shoulder buttons, a start and select button, and 4 LED light indicators to display the player number, there is also a Home button that will serve multiple functions; one is to sync the controller to the console, but to also gain access to the Game User Interface (GUI) at any point during gameplay
- Save your game at any point during gameplay or let the RetroN 5 autosave your game upon shutdown
- You can select the aspect ratio between 4:3 to 16:9
- Optional scanlines filter and a wide range of other graphic filters
- Speed up or slow down your games to fit your preference
- Controller Slots: NES, SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis
Why do we like it?
It comes with some really cool stickers, It works with the original old skool controllers, as the controller that comes with it is pants (Use SNES controller instead). There's HDMI connectivity that allows you to play directly through your spanking brand new LCD TV and it looks great, especially with all the filter and scanline options. But get this, it works with your old Sega Master System power base that probably doesn't work anymore. But it's also great for taking away on business trips, holiday or where there's a potential floor space issue. Playing Game Boy and Game boy Advance with no borders in HD is a fantastic experience, if a little blocky, but it really does work, quite how I'm unsure, but it works. It won't replace your real Megadrive or SNES, but it's great to own if you don't have easy access to those consoles anymore.