SONIC CD - FREE ON APP STORE!!!


It's been a while since I've played the original Sonic CD game on an actual MegaCD, setting the console up can be a messy affair at best, spaghetti quickly comes to mind. For me it was a great console, that never fully realised its true potential, but Sonic CD gave us a glimpse of what might have been.

I read an article somewhere last week, that mentioned Sonic CD would be released as a 'Free App of the Week', I got really excited about this announcement, as I've been looking for a good excuse and the right time to play this game on iOS. For me, this is not only the greatest Sonic game ever made, but it featured some of the best locations, level design and music I've ever heard on a Sega console.

Everything appears to have survived the transition, from Mega-CD to iOS, only this time they've ditched the 90s 4:3 in favour of a 16:9 aspect ratio, it's not stretched either, as seen with so many other games in the App store, it's as if they've rebuilt the look and feel of the screen, the graphics look crisper and more colourful than before, and the controls and performance are bloody excellent. I can't believe how fast it feels fast, I haven't played a Sonic game this fun and frantic since Sonic Adventure. So yeah, it's the real deal, just as good, maybe better than playing it on the original Mega-CD.

There's lot's of extra content, leaderboards for single play, Tails is included as an unlockable character, with Sonic 3 abilities. The better you perform, the more you unlock. Sadly, the game is rife with intrusive adverts, but I guess this is the price you pay these days for the free version, not an issue if you paid for the original. It would have been nice to have included additional characters, I think this is a missed opportunity.

Despite the above, this is still the ultimate Sonic experience on your iOS device, so what are you waiting for, go grab it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amstrad CPC 8-bit exclusive games

AMSTRAD CPC - TO SCROLL OR NOT TO SCROLL

Donkey kong Jr - Zx Spectrum